Saturday, August 24, 2013

Murals and Personalization

            It's another beautiful day in sunny Arizona. I was going through a house the other day making a “to do” list for the homeowner before I put it on the market.  It was hot and the homeowner had left the AC blasting in the house, I was actually shivering.

            You could tell there were children in this home:  a slight patch in the wall badly hidden by a fresh coat of paint on only one spot; a few hand prints on the glass that led to a sandbox out back; and the Pièce de résistance, a playroom with a mural that would delight any young kid and possibly embarrass anyone over the age of nine. The mural was well done and it was something that made the house standout, but not necessarily in a good way. 

            As a parent I can see the value of painting a room to entice your kids.  A playroom for my boys while in grade school would have looked like a cross between GI Joe and Transformers with some assorted superheroes thrown into the mix. The same room years later would have had a different look with cars, posters, gaming consoles and computers. I couldn't help but think while looking at this mural, that while it did add a sense of uniqueness to the home, it would probably limit the salability.  I recommended Kilz and fresh paint.  It broke my heart, but they needed top dollar to move to a larger home for the new baby on the way.


As always if you’re looking for a unique place to call your own contact Tim or Gayle Kendrick at 602-819-6300, look us up at www.AZWestre.com on Facebook at http://on.fb.me/AZHomes or stop by and see our blog at http://azwestre.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment